Admire Florence museums! Try our New
Online Florence Museums Ticket Reservations System!!!
And you will get ...
Without queueing up!
Uffizi Gallery »»»The most important art gallery in Italy and the earliest museum in modern Europe, it displays the greatest paintings from every age. It houses the most significant classical sculptures from the Medici collections and a big selection of Italian and European painting from 13th to 18th C., mainly late Medieval and Renaissance Tuscan works... »»»
Accademia Gallery »»»It is one of the most popular museums in the world because it displays the renowned Michelangelo’s David.
The Gallery was founded by Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorraine as an educational art collection destined to the students at the Academy of Fine Arts. After rearrangements and 19th C. acquisitions, it has become a celebrated museum dedicated to Michelangelo.
Along with Michelangelo’s scupltures, the Gallery shows significant works testifying the development of Florentine art from 13th C. up to 19th C.
The Gallery is housed in the 14th C. rooms once belonging to the old Hospital of St. Matthew and the old convent of St. Niccolò of Cafaggio, renovated in the late 18th C. to house the Gallery. In 1882 the “Tribuna” hall was built in order to display Michelangelo’s David... »»»
Palatina Gallery and Royal Apartments »»»The Gallery is called “Palatina” because it is located in the “Palazzo” of the ruling family, the imposing Pitti Palace, royal residence of the Medici, of the Lorraine and lastly of the Savoy dynasty.
The collection of paintings, arranged in rooms sumptuously decorated with baroque stuccoes and frescoes, is a rare and precious example of a private princely gallery.
The monumental royal apartments, joined to the gallery, show furnishings of the time when they were used by the Savoy, Kings of Italy... »»»
Bargello Museum »»»The Museum displays the most important collection of Renaissance Tuscan sculpture in the world, with fundamental works by Donatello, Della Robbia, Verrocchio and Michelangelo, along with a significant group of medieval French ivories, Italian majolicas and arms.
The museum is housed in the medieval Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo (or Bargello Palace), built from 1255 and enlarged in the 14th C., residence of the Captain of the People, of the Podestà and lastly of the Captain of Justice (called Bargello), that is the chief of the police (16th C.), when the palace was transformed into a prison.
The building was completely restored in order to house the Bargello National Museum, opened in 1865... »»»
Medici Chapels »»»Behind the church of San Lorenzo, the Medici Chapels Museum consists of the Medici Crypt, the Chapel of the Princes and Michelangelo’s New Sacristy.
Along with the sculptural and architectural decorations, the museum displays the Treasure of the San Lorenzo Basilica: reliquaries and liturgical objects, great examples of Renaissance and Baroque goldsmith’s art.
The architecture and the sculptural decoration, including funerary monuments of members of the Medici family, were designed and begun by Michelangelo before he went to Rome. The New Sacristy was carried out and arranged as we see today by Giorgio Vasari and Bartolomeo Ammannati... »»»
Modern Art Gallery »»»In Pitti Palace, on the second floor, the Modern Art Gallery shows a complete overview of Italian painting from Neoclassicism to the 20th century.
It was opened in 1924 in order to display modern and contemporary works coming from the main Florentine State and Municipal collections.
The present arrangement shows artworks from the time of the Grand Duke Pietro Lepoldo of Lorraine (2nd half of 18th C.) up to 1920s.
The core of the museum is a collection of paintings by a group of Tuscan artists, called “the Macchiaioli”, who in the middle of 19th C. started to deeply renew European painting, at the same time as the French Impressionists.
Other outstanding artists on display: Camille Pissarro, Elisabeth Chaplin and, from Italy, Giovanni Boldini, Gaetano Previati, Medardo Rosso, Galileo Chini... »»»
San Marco Museum »»»Once a Dominican monastery, it houses the largest collection of paintings by Fra Giovanni Angelico in the world.
The Museum is housed in the Dominican monastery of San Marco, built between 1438 and 1444 by will of Cosimo the Elder of the Medici family, on a design by the architect Michelozzo, who created an architectural masterpiece of functionality, harmony and elegance... »»»
Archaeological Museum »»»One of the most important archaeological museums in Italy, it is mainly renowned for a very important Etruscan collection and an amazing Egyptian section, second best in Italy.
The Museum was opened in 1888 when most of the Etruscan, Greek and Roman works collected by the Medici and the Lorraine families were moved from the Uffizi Gallery to the Palazzo della Crocetta (a 16th C. Medici property). Also Egyptian works discovered by a French-Tuscan expedition to Egypt (1828) were moved to the museum... »»»
Silver Museum »»»The Museo degli Argenti (Silverware Museum) displays the Medici Treasure, the jewels and the most precious objects once belonged to the Lords of Florence.
The museum, opened in the late 19th C., is located on the ground floor of Pitti Palace, in the summer apartments of the Medici court, sumptuously decorated with baroque frescoes.
It shows the huge collection of precious objects once belonged to the Grand Dukes of Tuscany, with later additions coming from the ancient Gems Cabinet of the Uffizi, from the collection of jewels belonged to Anna Maria Luisa de’ Medici, from the Treasure of the prince-bishops of Salzburg and from the Treasure of San Lorenzo in Florence... »»»
Opificio delle Pietre Dure »»»The Opificio delle Pietre Dure (Semi-precious Stones Workshop) was officially founded in 1588 by Ferdinando I de’ Medici.
The Museum is dedicated to the traditional art of the Florentine mosaic (or inlaid work) in semi-precious stones.
That ancient art, brought to new life thanks to the Medici family, was already known by the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans who created mosaics using marble and semi-precious stones (quartz, chalcedony, jasper, lapis-lazuli).
For centuries Florentine craftsmen have skilfully cut the naturally coloured stones into shapes, fitting them together to create magnificent architectural decorations as well as the most precious objects... »»»
Boboli Garden of Palazzo Pitti »»»The Garden, which stretches on the Boboli hill from Pitti Palace to Belvedere Fort, is one of the largest and most refined gardens in Italy, first example and model for the royal gardens of European courts... »»»
Piccolomini Palace in Pienza »»»The summer residence of Enea Silvio Piccolomini, Pope Pius II, Palazzo Piccolomini in Pienza is the first example of Renaissance architecture.
Built in 1459 by famed architect Bernardo Rossellino, student of Leon Battista Alberti, recent major renovation has restored its utmost splendour, both internally and externally.
The architectural complex is presented as the realisation of Pius II’s ambitious humanist project for the ideal city.
The Piccolomini family lived in the Palazzo until 1962 when, by testamentary dispositions, it was transferred to the Ente morale di Siena Società di Esecutori di Pie Disposizioni... »»»